Saturday, April 19, 2008

Acknowledgements - Jim Meehan


Jim Meehan and his wife Marsha joined the Wethersfield Historical Society in 2006 after retiring from careers in Information Technology at The Travelers.

His interest in Thomas Hickey began with a casual conversation at an Elderhostel program and grew into a several month, part-time, investigative effort - the first real historical reading or research that Jim has done since college in the 1960's.

In addition to the historical society Jim is a member of the Men's Garden Club of Wethersfield where he edits the newsletter and writes a monthly column; The Wethersfield Beautification Trust where he moves dirt and pulls weeds; and (with Marsha) of WWUH - "Public Alternative Radio from the University of Hartford, 91.3 FM and wwuh.org" as members of the classical music staff.

He also writes essays for his Internet blog www.compostablematter.com.

Go to Thomas Hickey Table of Contents
Go to Wethersfield Historical Society Home Page

1 comment:

Tim K said...

Mr. Meehan:

Thank you for your hard work on the Thomas Hickey research. I recently asked my daughter to read the story "Phoebe the Spy" and to tell me what she had read. Next, I decided to do a little poking around on the Internet. I came across your research on Thomas Hickey, which was, by far, the least biased and most helpful information I could find on the topic on short notice.

I must say that as an adult, I have been frustrated by the porous nature of historical research. I had no idea how often historian's do NOT repeat each other. In fact, they often contradict one another.

It is a great deal messier than I used to think.

-Tim K.