Monday, March 31, 2008

Chapter 1 – “Do You Know About Thomas Hickey?”

"I noticed that you're from Wethersfield, Connecticut."

I was standing, empty-plate-in-hand, in the breakfast buffet line at an Elderhostel Golf program and the person talking to me was Sol Henner, a self-described retired Revolutionary War historian. He continued, "Do you know about Thomas Hickey?"

I ran quickly through my mental Rolodex of friends, acquaintances, and names I might have heard - but I came up empty. "No, I don't think I do."

"Well he was a well known Revolutionary War traitor who lived for a short while in your town."

"Well I guess then that we wouldn't have any streets named after him, would we?"

"No, I would think not. He was a member of George Washington's Guard and took part in a plot to kidnap him." Later that week he gave me a piece of paper with the words Traitors, Turncoats and Heroes by John Bakeless written on it. "You might find it interesting."

Well, we do belong to the Wethersfield Historical Society. So I'll probably check it out there when we get back home."


Go to Next Chapter
Go to Thomas Hickey Table of Contents
Go to Wethersfield Historical Society Home Page

No comments: